PERSONALITY TEST

Hello Sheeshams and teaks,

I scored 190 in my personality test. My interview was conducted on 09 March 2023 in the evening slot. I was the second last candidate to go in. 

The Interview

I entered and found the room to be neatly arranged with Ma’am sitting at the centre with a huge table. The other 4 members- all male, were sitting on their own individual sofa chairs with a table. I had walked in beyond my chair while wishing the members. So instantly, with a feeling of regret, I apologised and also thanked, while occupying my chair as per the directions.

Preeti Sudan maam- Please come Pratibha, the board is meant to make you feel comfortable. Please have a seat.

Smt. Preeti Sudan Ma’am

  1. Pratibha, you did an internship at NHRC. Tell us about the internship and what did you learn there? – I spoke about the one month internship in which graduate students from all over the country were selected. It was under the training department of NHRC. The nature of internship was educative so as to make us ambassadors of human rights in the country and make us aware of the issues wrt human rights plaguing the society. As a part of the internship, I learned from professionals of various fields who delivered lectures. We also visited child care homes and jails.
  2.  You mentioned that you visited Child care homes, what did you learn about the status of child care centres in India. Tell us about your experience. Yes ma’am. The child care home we visited was Prayas, in New Delhi. It housed girls who were in need of care and protection and children in conflict with law under the Juvenile Justice Act. I understood the importance of child rights and the gravity of child trauma. Besides, we also learnt about importance of community sensitisation towards adoption and equal opportunity of education.
  3.  Why is India performing badly on human rights indicators? Yes ma’am. It is true that in many reports, which look at human rights issues for instance the women safety, press freedom index etc have noted a downward spiral in case of India. In my understanding, this is so because 1. Human rights itself is a very vast undefined area. 2. Given the huge population of India and many socio economic challenges, many human rights violations occur, especially to the weaker sections of the community as a means of power struggle dynamics. 3. Overbudening of NHRC and underperformance of SHRCs. However, it cannot be denied that India has taken necessary steps in this regard. It must also be noted that many of these indices sometimes reflect a western bias, for instance under representation from different communities. The Press Freedom Index only had one south Asian lady in the panel. Besides, focus on qualitative analysis over quantitative data based analysis, generates bias which needs to be looked into.
  4.  Can you tell us about the situation of human rights violations in Afghanistan? Yes ma’am. The human rights condition in Afghanistan is very concerning, as the media highlights. With the Taliban takeover, we are seeing how the promises made by the current regime in the state has not been upheld. We are seeing how the girl child education, their entry to practicing profession of their choice is being curtailed. In fact cases of open public execution has also been reported.

Member 1 (Very responsive and cheerful)

  1. That’s right Pratibha. But you know the issue of human rights in Afghanistan is also to be looked at how the people of the country feel about it. Well, I would leave it at that. Tell me about the history of NHRC. Yes sir. [I did not speak on the Afghanistan issue. Instead, I focused on the question. Sir, after asking the question squinted his eyes as a natural gesture to listen intently]. Sir, NHRC was established in India after the Paris principles in 1993. It came into being after the passing of Ptotection of Human Rights Act. NHRC was established as an apex body to look into the cases on human rights violations by the state and was entrusted with the powers of carrying out investigations, taking so motu congnizance. Over the time, various SHRCs have been established in states following the footprints of NHRC.
  2.  Right Pratibha. But if you wonder that UDHR principles came in...when? In 1948 and like you said the Paris principles came in after a long gap, that is around 1993. Why did the formation of NHRC take place so late despite the UDHR principles which came in long before? Yes sir, that is true. India committed to the UDHR principles early on after independence. However, I am honestly not aware of the exact reasons why Paris principles came in after a delay. I am sorry. I will read more about it. [I thought I should say about the various generations of rights, but I did not feel very sure and hence chose to decline].
  3.  Oh well, that is okay. You know there were many different generations of rights that followed after the UDHR like the ICCPR, ICESCR, CEDAW. You read more about it. Can you tell me what is Right to Development? [Sir was explaining while taking a lot of pauses. This made me jump to give an answer a couple of times and later I thoughtfully restrained] [Again, given my PSIR optional, I thought I would make up an answer for a split second, because I had a masters in Development and Labour studies and I thought I ought to know the answer. But then again, I chose to be honest rather than bluff]. Sir, I would like to apologize for interrupting you while you were asking questions. Sorry sir, I will read more about this subject.
  4.  Okay, no problem. I can see that you have had a substantial stay in Jodhpur. You studied in an Army Public School. I believe your father was in the Indian Army. [Yes sir]. Okay so, tell us about the architecture and culture of Jodhpur. Yes, sir. Jodhpur is one such city, where you live and cannot not call it your home. In other words, one cannot live in Jodhpur and not become a jodhpurite. It’s warmth is very welcoming. The architecture is one of the reasons why it is one of the prime tourist locations. The imposing structure of the mighty Mehrangarh fort, the devi temple inside it, Mandor Gardens, the newly constructed high court, clock tower and sojati gate along with the local markets speaks volumes of evolved Rajasthani architecture. The stone carved jaalis and the glasstint add special features to the architecture. When we speak of culture, one finds it hard to even complete the sentence for the pyaaz kachori and mirchi bada fills the mouth with temptation. The Jodhpurs, leather jootis, silverware, silver jewellery, cloth puppets called banna-banni are only a tip of an iceberg of the rich culture the city carries.
  5.  Absolutely, that is very interesting. But you left out a very important architecture. Have you heard of the Umaid Bhavan palace? Yes sir. Umaid bhavan palace is one of the most recent constructed palaces in the country which houses the erstwhile royal family of Jodhpur. It is divided into three portions. One half houses a museum and a posh restaurant while the other half houses the royal family.
  6.  How can you relate it’s architecture with economy? Yes sir, over the years, the palace has been monetised and used for high level, dignitry visits and ceremonies like the Priyanka Chopra wedding. In this way, not only the monument is preserved and well popularised but it also becomes self sustainable.
  7.  I think you missed one of the very important reasons why it was constructed was to generate employment and fight a famine. I think that was a prime reason why Umaid bhavan and other such massive structures were created, that is to generate employment. But I really like how you gave the Jodhpur culture answer. It reflects the Indianness in you. You gave that answer truly like an army officer’s child. Very well done. I will not ask any further question. Thank you. Thank you sir. Yes sir, I identify myself as an Indian over any other identity. If I go to Hyderabad, I become a hyderabadi and if I go to Maharashtra, I become a Marathi. That is one thing, that is deeply ingrained in me. Thank you again.

Member 2 (looking forward to a fruitful discussion)- Looked silent, patient and very calm. Initially, I tried to maintain eye contact with everyone but with Member 1 and discussion, I chose to focus on one member at a time.

  1. Is there a divergence between the theory and practice of equality in our country? Sir, constitutionally there is no divergence. And keeping this as the hallmark of law and order in the country, in practice we strive for equality in letter and spirit as well. The fundamental right of Right to equality prevents all forms of discrimination based on race, religion, gender and other parameters to ensure every citizen of the country enjoys the same level of dignity and opportunity. However, keeping in mind historical injustices, there are provisions for positive discrimination as well. However, this cannot be regarded as divergence in theory and practice of equality as we recognize the need of uplifting the most downtrodden so that they can at least come at par to the starting line as rest of the citizens.
  2.  In what ways our country still unequal? Sir, in my opinion, even though we aspire for a perfect equality of opportunity, we also understand that such a utopia is far from what we see around us. The reason why our constitutional principles strive for a right to equality has been there keeping in mind societal, historical, gender and other such inequalities. I saw a movie few years back. It is called Fandry- it is a marathi movie. The movie’s protagonist who comes from a poor dalit household aspires for a life of dignity and education but faces sheer caste discrimination. We are seeing atrocities on women in our society almost on a daily basis. During COVID, we saw digital divide being created. There is still financial and digital illiteracy. Such challenges show us a mirror and also a way forward. But this is not to say that we lack a silver lining. Our country is witnessing one of the fastest growths, benefits of an educated class and aspirational growth filled with equality of opportunities.
  3.  You mentioned that you interned in NHRC and visited the Tihar jail. There are so many prisoners languishing in Indian jails, what legislative mechanisms are in place to ensure a remedy? (a few other questions I am unable to recollect) Yes sir, the Prisoner’s Statistics reveal that more than two third of the prisoners are undertrials. We do have NALSA and SLSA in place which aim at providing legal remedies to the needy. Along with legal aid, we have Alternate Dispute Resolution Mechanisms in place. With digitization, the e-courts mission aims at faster disposal of cases. Along with this, fast track courts are also an effective mechanismto ensure a remedy.
  4.  Well, good. But I wanting to hear more about the legislative mechanisms. Nonetheless, thank you. [I nodded and said thanks and looked at the next panelist].

Member 3 (Very patient, nodding and accepting the answers, wore spectacles].

  1. Tell me about the relations between India and Africa and how do you see it developing in the future? Yes sir, focus on Africa forms one of the core components of India’s foreign policy. We have had centuries old history of trade relations and we currently enjoy a strategic partnership. Both India and Africa share similar understanding on fair rules of international development an d trade. We also share strong multicultural environment and endeavour for sustainable development. As a result, there are many renewable projects that both partners share. The One Sun One World One Grid is one such initiative. We saw how during COVID-19, India extended it’s pharmaceutical support. Both the partners believe climate change to be a major factor affecting development and looks forward to reforming UN. Besides, there are many infrastructure development projects like the India Africa Growth Corridor, providing high impact skills and education to the students which form a priority. Hence the relations are based on the principles of mutual trust and equitable development.
  2.  In my opinion, the focus is not equitable when it comes to Africa, don’t you think the west and central Africa has been ignored? What about Gambia, Uganda and other countries like Democratic Republic Congo and others. Okay I will leave this question here. Let me ask you another question. [I wanted to reply to that question but since it was openly highlighted that sir is going to ask another question, I did not push myself to go overboard]
  3.  How has India South Africa relations evolved from the past? Sir India South Africa relations have indeed been time tested since independence. I am however not aware the exact chronology of the bilateral relations. I will read more about it. [I thought I should say about the committed principles of equality, multiculturalism, Gandhi a- Mandela, then skip to present issues like Cheetahs, multiple capitals etc, but then I thought, I honestly did not know the evolution, so it is better to say no than to give a patchy answer. However, despite not having given answer to almost 2 to 3 questions, I did not feel nervous because I was being honest].
  4.  Tell me 3 ways to promote inclusion in our society. Yes sir. Sir, may I take a moment to think and then respond. [Yes, sure] Sir, I think of the many ways, these are a the three ways to promote inclusion- one ensuring equitable access to quality education to every child in the society and ensuring accessible healthcare that is by building capabilities in people, second ensuring that the economy grows and exhibits distributive growth and third I believe ensuring better use of technology, that is by promoting digital inclusion. JAM trinity is a wonderful example of this.
  5.  Pratibha, you have done masters in Labour Studies, tell me are India’s labour laws archaic in nature? Sir, active measures have been taken to ensure adequate addressal to this issue. Earlier, before the four codes, labour laws were indeed seen as cast in the past which failed to cater to the needs of present times. But with the coming of code on wages, occupational safety and health code, social security code, such issues have been addressed. For instance, the new codes recognize the presence of gig and platform workers and bring them under the fold of the labour laws. Besides, the coming up of floor wages, and minimum wages concept is also to ensure that wages become tantamount to living standards of people.
  6.  So, you are saying that the laws were archaic but now gradually the change is coming.  Yes, sir. Okay, thank you.  Thank you, sir.

Member 4 (cordial and respectful in asking and listening)

  1. What kind of paintings do you like to paint? Sir, I like to paint with water colours and oil pastels. They are usually themed around things I observe. It ranges from human figures to nature.
  2.  What was the theme of the last painting you drew and why? Sir, the theme of the last watercolor painting I drew was two koi fishes. Koi fishes are known to swim against the current. They signify that when things get tough, the tough gets going. [Here, lights went out a couple of times for some seconds]
  3.  Considering the 7th schedule, do you think they do not depict the changing need of Polity and governance? Sir, I believe that the seventh schedule has alsobeen subjected to multiple amendments where subjects have been transferred from one list to another as per the changing times. Sir, for instance, in the 42nd amendment, subjects like education, forests were transferred from state list to the concurrent list. Hence, I think that they do reflect the changing needs of polity and governance.
  4.  But don’t you think they are cast in the past? Should subjects be transferred to centre for better policy implementation? Sir, I think that the centre has an apex role to play in governance. It acts as a pivot ensuring uniformity and integrity. Hover, for better implementation of policies, legislation formation, we also have to understand the importance played by the states. For instance, taking the education subject. The New Education Policy which the central government came up with has acted as a guiding light to the rest of the states as well to reform their curriculum. Hence, in my opinion, when it comes to policy implementation, grassroot empowerment is more effective. [ I believe there was some grilling in this question, but I tried to maintain my stance].
  5.  But Pratibha, let’s think of finances. Don’t you think when there are multiple levels of governance, there are more pilferages and lack of oversight. If certain subjects are transferred to the Centre, we will be able to ensure a financial sustainability. Yes, sir. It sounds true that centralisation can be helpful for better financial management. But since India is a federal polity, even financial decentralization is required. The success of grassroot decentralisation in forms of SHGs is what we have already seen. Besides, there are certain subjects which the states are entrusted to provide to their populace. for better accountability, states answerability is also required. Centre does not possess adequate manpower to amass such overarching powers of execution. Hence, in my humble opinion, for Indian democracy to deepen it’s roots, there is a need to move out of New Delhi and empower the small and inaccessible hinterlands for equitable growth and development. [Sir, gave me a smile which I thought reflected that maybe I was going in the right direction or totally in the opposite direction]
  6.  Okay, but.. [Sir, was about to ask another follow up question, but Preeti Sudan ma’am intervened and said, ‘Yes Pratibha, we have understood your opinion. Sir please continue]
  7.  Okay, you have studied in two of the topmost educational institutes in the country. What change did you witness moving from St. Stephen’s college to JNU? Yes sir. I had the privilege to study in the country’s topmost institutes and I am very thankful to that. Both the institutes are known for their academic rigor and emphasis on critical thinking. Besides, they offer very competitive quality education and a sphere of overall personality development. One difference could be that since Stephen’s is a graduation college, it’s emphasis is more on conceptual clarity whereas JNU is a research institution, hence it focuses more on critical themes of research. Besides, the environment of JNU offers more freedom for politically active students to unionize and debate. [Again, sir gave me a smile. Maybe he might be thinking that I did not touch upon the issues which common media blows up]
  8.  If you were to choose one, which one will you choose and why? [I smiled to myself] Sir, I believe that is a very tough decision to make. Both the institutions have played a life changing role in my life and personality development. It will be quite difficult to make that choice. However, still if I were to choose one, I would choose Stephen’s over JNU because it made me capable to study in an institution like JNU. [listening to this, the board members- I think all of them, gave a resounding laugh. I believe they were happy. Seeing that, I was happy that for them I was a pleasant experience and for me, I mean it was such a surreal experience I would never be able to explain how I felt. I, indeed was happy because I gave an honest reflection of who I was].
On this note, Preeti Sudan ma’am told me; ‘Pratibha, your interview is over. Thank you’. I haphazardly thanked the board individually. [I was very haphazard in my greetings, I must agree]. I stood up and left. I think I left my mask in the interview room. For a split second, I tried opening that door knob, but luckily, did not fidget with it. I came out and saw another candidate sitting on the same chair I was sitting almost half an hour ago. I gently went to her, bent down and told her to remain calm. I wished her all the best and told her that the board is very cordial. Then I collected my bag and came out of the Dholpur house, only to see glistening eyes of my parents full of excitement and nervousness. They were very happy and proud even without knowing how the interview went. I would forever be grateful for such a wonderful experience.

Comments